The VAPE (pronounced VaahPeh) is a top quality, European product that
will “modernize” the electrical systems on your classic BMW, providing
improved reliability, performance as well as passive and active safety.
This set will replace the entire charging and ignition system with
reliable, modern components and also upgrade your bike’s electrical
system from 6 to 12 Volts.
This set consists of a complete system
including Rotor, Stator, Coil-CDI, Regulator, and other hardware. This
D/C system will run head lights, tail lights, turn signals and charge
the battery. It is a magnet based alternator with integrated solid state
ignition; output at 12V/150W DC. The alternator is brushless and there
are no parts to wear out, making this system maintenance free.
- Wire harness
- Oilseal Locking Cam, with holder screw
- Flywheel (rotor)
- Battery cable, kill wire
- HT Cable
- Adapter plate
- Electronic advance unit with frame holder
- Fastening hardware
The VAPE ignition system is a magneto based generator with integrated,
fully electronic ignition. It is equipped with a tiny AC regulator to
run lighting equipment, thus eliminating the need to run a battery. VAPE
external flywheel type ignitions are an analog type, CDI ignition with
80-100 watts of 12-volt lighting capacity capable of delivering up to
- Does not require changes on crankcase or any other permanent modifications
- Solid state ignition and advance
- More light output 12V bulbs
- Reliable ignition with solid spark
- Improved starting performance, better fuel burning
- Eliminates points, condenser, centrifugal advance and upgrades the charging system
- The system is technically capable of running without battery
- VAPE instructions - "not for BMW models with lightened flywheel" such
as e.g. aluminum flywheels. VAPE systems are exclusively destined to
replace stock ignition systems in classic and vintage motorcycles whose
engine characteristics have not been modified aftermarket.
- The BMW comes with a stock battery ignition, while the new VAPE system
offers and improved magneto ignition. The advantage is obvious but
there's also a downside and important difference that has to be
observed. The kick starter has to be actuated strong and quickly to
bring the engine into proper revs. If you actuate it too slow - as it
may have been possible with the old battery ignition - it will not
start. This is because the magneto has to generate the energy for the
spark since it no longer comes from the battery.
- The camshaft of type R68 is longer than the R69 and R69S models. For this ignition system that means a difference in position (hence shape) of the cam-piece which is used to plug the oilseal and to take the trigger disc. The system has a modified entry diameter of the standard piece to allow it to sit lower. Please ensure your bike has the R68 camshaft to ensure the cam-piece reaches the oilseal and the trigger disc is positioned correctly.
- To disengage your rotor, you will need a puller M8x90 (See Related Products, Part: 8871114 )
- To remove the VAPE rotor, you will need Puller 999979900 (See Related Products)
- Please do not use any spark amplifying cables, this will disturb the system and possibly damage it
- Do not use spark plugs with an internal suppression resistor (e.g. spark plugs coded with an "R" for resistor)
- You will either need a 12 volt battery or you have the option driving without a battery
- Remember to change those 6 Volt bulbs with 12 volt bulbs (See Related Products), and install a 12V horn
the headlight, you can simply replace the original 6 Volt headlight
bulb with a BA20D 12 Volt bulb or, you can upgrade your headlight
components to H4!